This site will host a variety of resources for Michigan Beekeepers. Please be patient as it grows, and please let us know if you are interested in any specific information.
New resources will be sent out through the Michigan Beekeepers association mailing list. Sign up here to join the MBA mailing list.
General Beekeeping Resources
Varroa Related Resources
Resources for monitoring and managing Varroa destructor
The varroa mite (Varroa destructor) is the worst pest currently facing honey bees in the United States. This pest has been devastating to Michigan beekeepers, and has been responsible for the deaths of thousands of honey bee colonies. We need to work together as a beekeeping community to stop the varroa epidemic.
1. Monitor for varroa mite populations in your own colonies
2. Manage varroa mite levels - never let the populations of varroa get above 3 mites/ 100 bees. This keeps your bees safe and prevents disease spread to your neighbors.
3. Purchase queens that have been bred to be resistant to varroa mites.
4. Donate money to varroa-related research, and tell your political representatives that this is important.
Photo credit: Gilles San Martin
MSU Resources on how to keep your colonies safe from the varroa mite
- Varroa Mite Monitoring
- Managing the Varroa mite
- Mite Check Program
- To hear more about Mite Check- listen to the webinar by the Bee Squad
Other useful resources for managing varroa
More Information coming soon - for beekeeping questions in the meantime, contact email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com