Bee Vet Resources
More useful information and resources on antibiotics in honey bees
The USDA has an online module to help train veterinarians. It is free, and is based on the American Veterinary Medical Associations' Honey Bees 101 for Veterinarians.
- Some the Universities have put together useful documents for veterinarians.
- University of Arkansas - Guide to honey bee health (pdf)
- University of Florida - Veterinarians' guide to honey bee antibiotics: Webinar
- Maryland VFD videos (The first 12 minutes of this video are done by Dr. Michael Murphy of the FDA and describe the different antibiotics that are available. The rest is on the identification of American Foul Brood and honey bee biology.)
- Oklahoma State guide for Veterinary Feed Directive Extralabel Use in Minor Species.
- Other FAQ pages
- The FDA issued a Question and answer document for frequent questions: FDA - Using Medically Important Antimicrobials in Bees - Questions and Answers
- FDA CVM GFI#120 - Q and A on VFD regulation Guidance for the industry (#120) - Small Entity Compliance Guide Veterinary Feed Directive Regulation Questions and Answers
- Blog post of FAQs from the University of Florida
- Bee Culture FAQs - Do I need a vet?
- MDARD Top 10 questions on the VFD
- Information from the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development on the VFD
- Read the ruling on Veterinary Feed Directive in the Federal Register (FDA-2010-N-0155)
- FDA Tolerance levels for antibiotics in honey
- Blue Bird Labels
- Minor Use Minor Species
- Compliance policy guide on medicated feed for minor species
- MDARD’s VFD website
- MDARD’s generic fillable VFD order
Resource for Canadian Veterinarians (also on the CVMA website)
“Veterinary Oversight of Antimicrobial Use – A Pan-Canadian Framework for Professional Standards for Veterinarians” called “Sub Section: Providing Veterinary Oversight of Antimicrobial Treatment of Agricultural Bee Populations.”